Trend in sight

The FIAC 2013 in numbers

Contemporary Art | For its 40th anniversary, the FIAC transformed Paris into an art capital. From the nave of Grand Palais to the Jardin des Tuilieries by way of the Jardin des Plantes and Place Vendôme, the fair exhibited the work of 3,190 artists.

Grand Palais by Night © Emmanuel Nguyen Ngoc, 2013
Grand Palais by Night
© Emmanuel Nguyen Ngoc, 2013

Of 25 countries showcased, almost a third of the 184 galleries were French (55 galleries), 12% were German (22), 7% were Italian (13) and 6% were Belgian (11). The USA (33 galleries) and the United Kingdom (12 galleries) were also present, meaning 87% of the art was of Western origin. Of the remaining 13%, only two Asian countries crossed the threshold of Grand Palais : China (2 galleries, or 1%) and South Korea (1 gallery or 0.5%). Canada was represented with one gallery, making its first appearance at the FIAC.

We also observed the prevalence of galleries from the « global cities » of each of these countries : 24 of 33 USA galleries were of New York origin, 54 of 55 French galleries were Parisian, 17 of 22 German galleries were from Berlin and 9 of 11 Belgian galleries were from Brussels. Even more striking was the United Kingdom whose galleries were all of London origin; Switzerland, Brazil and the Netherlands followed suit with 5 Zurich-based galleries, 5 Sao Paulo-based galleries and 4 Amsterdam-based galleries, respectively.

Of the 184 exhibitors, 34 have an international influence through foreign branches. This applies to 13 French exhibitors including Marian Goodman (Paris, NYC), Nathalie Obadia (Paris, Brussels), Perrotin (Paris, Hong-Kong, New York) and Michel Rein (Brussels, Paris) ; 8 American exhibitors including Gagosian (NYC, Paris, Le Bourget, London, Rome, Hong-Kong, Beverly Hills) and Pace (NYC, London, Brussels) ; 3 Italian exhibitors including Tornabuoni Arte (Florence, Paris, Milan) ; and 4 British exhibitors including White Cube (London, Hong-Kong, Sao Paulo) and Lisson (London, NYC, Milan).

Vincent Kozsilovics
Publié le 23/10/2013
Copyright © Observatoire de l'art contemporain - Tous droits réservés
Pour en savoir plus ou pour utiliser ce contenu, merci de nous contacter »

 

Suivez-nous sur FacebookSuivez-nous sur TwitterSuivez-nous sur LinkedInSuivez-nous sur InstagramContactSearch

Version française

Grand Palais by Night © Emmanuel Nguyen Ngoc, 2013

Grand Palais by Night
© Emmanuel Nguyen Ngoc, 2013

×


©

×